Our very successful intensive English language programmes have been running for 26 years. We have welcomed over 46,000 students on these, almost all from Eastern Central Europe – but all are welcome! Students only come as part of a group with their teachers. Our pre-course consultation ensures that what we provide is what will most help your students! Our aim is to not replicate what you do, but to take full advantage of them being in England by using their own experiences to develop their knowledge of real English and especially their confidence in using it.
We have consistent outstanding feedback and our 2018 programmes will see the continued emphasis given to the integration of visits, the time in the family and classroom work – and ensuring it is made appropriate for all levels. Fieldwork provides opportunities to use real English as well as to give a better understanding of the English way of life and the context of the language. Tasks are set for the evenings and give host families a chance to help too and where students learn things they can share with their friends the next day. It is this student-centred approach to the language which is so important in a SOL programme.
We want to make maximum use of all the time spent with us, to make it effective and enjoyable!
Our great locations in Barnstaple and Bideford, and sometimes Tiverton in Mid-Devon, further enhance our courses.
The daytime is divided into two; one half in our centre, the other on short trips or activities. Time in the centre involves a great deal of practical use of language, dealing with real situations, and often relates to work done with the families or in the visits undertaken. The visits are to beautiful places and always with interesting language or observational tasks to do as well.
WHEN TO VISIT
The summer is always too popular and busy. Coming in winter, spring or autumn is recommended as it is cheaper and there are less traffic jams and the weather can be just as good. The climate is moderate in all seasons, and the good sunshine record is one of the reasons why Devon is such a popular holiday area. Although it can be unpredictable, most groups find it much better than its reputation!! When it rains, it rarely lasts long, and, even in winter, day temperatures are always above 0°C.
Arrival in Devon will normally be on a Sunday (for one week programmes) or Monday. When leaving, the departure at 06.30 allows a full 8+hour day in London for groups using their own coach. In Devon the whole programme is fully organised, but after leaving Devon the responsibility lies with the group leader, though SOL is ready to give as much assistance as needed in planning further visits. Many groups plan extra nights near London or elsewhere enabling the group to visit other places of interest (e.g.: Bath, or Oxford).
IMPORTANT POINTS TO NOTE
- We are more than a typical “language school”, and offer an outstanding language development experience for both students and teachers.
- This offers the best value in terms of motivating students and giving them confidence to use English for real purposes.
- Our experience with students and teachers from Central and Eastern Europe is second to none
- 1 teacher comes free for every complete group of 8 students (sometimes less)
- 10% deposit confirms the booking – we hold an initial booking provisionally for one month.
- We are open all year! The climate is moderate, and winters are mild – the Atlantic Ocean is just 10 km away!
- The price is inclusive – no hidden extras, other than any special visits or requests or bookings before or after leaving Devon.
- Full 8½ hour programme each day including fieldwork on visits, plus tasks with the family in the evening.
- Sunday is family day.
- Students are placed in friendly and supportive families, preferably with friends as they will speak more English this way.
- 1 half price place is available, for children of accompanying teachers for every 15 students brought – but does not count towards the number of teaching groups or free teacher places.
- We can book hostels to extend the stay in the UK, but must be paid for at the time of booking (exact price + £20 fee/group)
- For schools with small groups of students who wish to travel by coach we try to find similar schools to join with them to keep the cost down.
- A small budget for each group is also set aside to cover expenses incurred by the organising teacher (except travel), so no teacher will be out of pocket organising a group.
- Safety and security of students are paramount. Evenings are with the families unless written responsibility is transferred to the visiting teacher.
- Adults are welcome but only as full participants wanting to study – and there is a small daily supplement to pay.
- SOL is a small, friendly organisation and we treat everyone personally before, during and after the stay.
Full groups booked and 50% paid for by Dec 31st can have a choice of 1 extra free place OR £5 less (excluding Open courses) for all students booked in by that date.
Stonehenge and Tintagel can only now be booked by the visiting school itself – the school must be a bone fide State or private school, not a language school – and this can only apply to whole groups using their own coach or booked as an air group. It is not possible for any Open Course booking. We provide instructions and help with the booking.
Printable 2018 Programmes for Students & Prices
Hungarian Group Photo Diary of SOL Course