Our very successful English language programmes ran for 25 years. We have welcomed 45, 000 students to Devon, almost all from Eastern Central Europe. Most students come as part of a group with their regular teachers.
Now we have developed them into a full cultural programme so that the visits and the time in the family are the central feature and the time in the Centre is spent preparing and reflecting on these. All in English, of course, and because everything is relevant and based on personal experience the students opportunity to speak and gain confidence in speaking English is greater than ever.
We offer tailor-made programmes for groups travelling by coach or by air to Devon, where price can vary according to season or group size. However, it has become increasingly popular, since the advent of low cost airlines, for groups to join together on our fixed price Open Programmes. See separate sheet for details.
The overwhelming feedback on what we do has been excellent – very practical and concentrating on giving students confidence to use English Language naturally and not just being treated as another school subject! Fieldwork now provides more opportunity for students to use English language. The tasks set for the evenings give a chance for our host families to help with this language development – and on Sunday too! If a student only has a short time with us for a language course, we want to maximise the benefit, so all their time with us is very important!!
• The BEST VALUE quality programme in the UK for students of English.
• Full 8 hour programme each day except family day.
• 10% deposit confirms the booking – which is held provisionally for one month
• We are open ALL year! The climate is moderate, and winters are mild – the Atlantic Ocean is just 10 km away!
• The price is inclusive – no hidden extras, other than any special visits or requests e.g. Youth hostels, or visits after leaving Devon.
• Quoted programme length is the no. of days IN England, NOT including the no. of days on the coach on the way!!
• Students are placed in friendly and supportive families, usually with other students of a similar level.
• 1 half price place is available, for children of accompanying teachers for every 15 students brought.
• We can book Youth hostels to extend the stay in the UK, but need to be paid for at the time of booking (exact price + £20 fee/group)
• We can cover expenses incurred by the organising teacher, so no teacher will be out of pocket organising a group.
• Safety and security of students are paramount – evenings are with the families unless responsibility is transferred to the visiting teacher.
• Adults are welcome but only as participants and there is a small daily supplement to pay.
• SOL is a small organisation and treats everyone personally before during and after the stay.
• Pre course extension materials for you to take back to your schools is unique in the UK and increases the value of them even more.
OPEN COURSES – These are for groups coming by air made up of smaller groups from different countries, each accompanied by a teacher (ratio 1:8). Most programmes are for 10 days/9 nights in England, but there are also 7 and 8 day options. These include a fixed time transfer between London (Victoria coach station or London Airports) and North Devon both ways.
These programmes enable schools to send students for a lower price than if they tried to arrange a programme for themselves. Full details are available on request.
Printable Student Programmes 2017
Hungarian Group Photo Diary of SOL Course